Sunday, October 30, 2011

More Fall = Lovely

Had to stop on my ride home last week to capture this beautiful, colorful view. I wish the colors started sooner and lasted longer. Living in a very green area is great, but I sure love the contrast of the yellows, reds, also the fallen leaves are pretty spectacular. Maybe I am so aware of this time of year is because we apparently are beginning what we affectionately call, the rainy season, here in the Portland area. Once that starts, the colors are not so brilliantly, being subdued by all the grey. The leaves on the ground are but a dark mushy blob - bringing more danger than beauty - they can be so, so slippery.

Project MB-1
Okay, I've come up with the name of this project. It is my vintage, retro, new age uber SUB project, because that's what it will be when I put it all together. Vintage, for the pieces I am retaining and/or making like it was originally. Retro, for the components that give the bike that old school charm. New age, for those things that are based on newer designs or technology, even though they might emote a vintage or retro feel.

I did pick up my new wheel set and they are gorgeous! Built by Sugar Wheel Works, an independently owned shop in Portland. Components? Velo Orange Grand Cru high-flange hubs (rear accepts 9 speed cogs), Sapim butted spokes, Velocity Synergy rims with eyelets and Continental SportContact tires (32-559) 26" x 1.3".
Rear Wheel, Hub Side

Rear Hub, Shiny and Pretty

Front Wheel

Front Hub
Now I sit around and think, "I want to build my bicycle ..."

I guess I will really, really enjoy that first ride.

No comments: