Saturday, December 10, 2011

Fall Transitions - Still Pretty

A month! Already! Where does the time go? Fall has brought darker mornings which means some pretty cool sunrises as I climb the, what is called, south Tabor bump. Of course, this has also meant adjusting what I wear - it's cold but dry; it's cool with chance of rain; it's cold and foggy; it's who knows. Probably by the time I figure out the right combo to stay warm and dry but not too sweaty, the weather will change again as it marches toward winter.

This is also the first time I am encountering frost on my rides. That's a new experience for sure, can be pretty slick - slower cornering, leaning the body and not the bike, watch the quick moves, look farther ahead especially going downhills. Investing in lightweight base layers to help reduce the cold, wet back feeling.
Before the cold snap and all the leaves dropping, the colors were AMAZING! So, so beautiful riding amongst all the bright reds and yellows, just made me feel so awesome. Hard to be anything but happy.

Seems as soon as we went from November to December the warm fall also changed. It was a different sort of beauty out there. We have had foggy mornings which clear out for some sunny afternoons. You can see the frost in the image below which compliments the fog, grey and flat water of the Willamette River.
Even having to be more cautious on my ride, I still enjoy looking around, pedaling along. There seems to always be something different or new. Sometimes what captures my attention is a broader view as in the Esplanade view above or it could be something up close and personal, like the frost on my car in driveway in the picture below.
The little frost "hairs" were so cool!

Hope you all are enjoying fall.

No comments: