Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wow, 2 Weeks Since Last Post, Really?

I must be rolling along in zombie commuter mode or time has just sped up and the moment I stop to catch my breath it has been about 2 weeks since my last entry. I prefer to think it is the latter, of course.

We (Portland) are starting to dry out and our river levels are a bit lower, at least the Willamette River is low enough that our floating section of the Eastbank Esplanade is re-open. Gee, I really missed riding along this section. Of course, coming up with detours has also been nice for breaking up riding the exact same route day in and day out. Perhaps there is a subtle hint there.

The drier weather has also given me the incentive to bring the road bike (Bridgestone RADAC) out again, and that has been fun. I mean, being 10 pounds lighter, it is sweet riding. I have found, though, the ride feeling is pretty close between my two bikes now and that has me pretty pleased. I can easily go from bike to bike with very little adjusting.

I'm so so with the Power Grips pedals on the SUB. They are nice in that I can ride any shoe and has some level of attachment to the bike. I went with them because I got tired of struggling to adjust the cleats on my Keen shoes, not to mention I was starting to have some minor knee pain. So I took a break and enjoyed infinite adjustment while riding to get my feet in the "right" place on the pedals. I think it is also the fact the pressure is spread across the pedals rather than in the tiny spot where the SPD cleat is attached. The downside is getting my left foot back in from a stop takes more time.

Not to be outdone, the RADAC now sports Time ATAC XS carbon pedals. I have ridden them all thhis week (hahaha 2 days) and so far really like them. The cleats strictly align the fore-aft position on the pedals. Rotational float is handled by the pedals themselves, which is nice. I also like that the shoe actually contacts the sides of the pedals spreading the pressure points across a broader area. I am using my carbon bike shoes so that also means carrying an extra pair of walk around shoes for work. But, since I am not carrying extra rain gear, it is okay.

Tomorrow, I'm testing the pedals on the SUB and see how I like them on that bike. If good, then I'll get another pair of ATAC pedals.

When the clouds really clear out and there is nothing but blue sky, everyone seems to be in such better moods - especially given how grey we have been. I have also been enjoying stopping just before getting to work at the Breakfast on the Bridges (one at the Steel Bridge and one at the Hawthorne Bridge). Last friday was great and everyone was so happy because it was sunny and warm, plus the hosts are always happy and pleasant.

Today, as if to celebrate the official start of summer, a fireboat was out and entertaining everyone with its huge spray from the water guns. Definitely, everyone seems to be in a summery frame of mind. Of course, if it stays mostly nice we will start saying how hot it is or humid or too dry - funny we humans is.

Work commuters have been cool and we pretty much have a full main bike storage room. We even created a bicyclist email group so we could all share our accomplishments and other bike related information with each other. For me, I just use our first overflow area as my primary, saves moving around once I am at work. It is nice to see the new commuters especially since our Bike to Work day event. It's cool.

No comments: