Monday, May 30, 2011

Cool and Grey - I Experience a Torrential Shower

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday saw the return of a lot of clouds and chances of rain. There were drizzles, light rain, downright downpours and a few spots where you could actually see blue sky. In certain sections you can tell if it is cold or too wet as the birds seem less active in the mornings on those less than nice days. Of course there are less people out, too.

Wednesday along the Eastbank Esplanade the morning rush hour was filled with Canada Geese grazing along the upper banks. There is so much water in the Willamette right now. These guys are pretty use to people traffic as they did not even flinch when I stopped and took a few pictures, as if they were thinking, "No big deal, just another two-legged." It's kind of cool, I  have always liked the Canada Goose.

Despite the rain, the sense of cooler than normal temps reminding me more of late winter than spring about to become summer, it must be spring because everything is green and the once bare trees are filling out. While it is always nice to be out on the bike, I would not mind a bit warmer temps and some multiple dry, sunny days would not hurt, either.

I still find it interesting, yeah, I said it, interesting, to continue to wave or say hello to other cyclists and see who actually responds. It is funny, some almost seem annoyed by my waving acknowledgement, like I'm the crazy one.

Friday's ride home was the most memorable of the week. As I left work for the Steel Bridge the sky went from very grey to very dark grey and just as I was leaving the clouds opened up in all their glory. Yep, that's right, an Oregon downpour! Of course, as I hit the Steel Bridge the lift alarm went off and I got to sit there getting drenched. As fate would  have it, the rain was coming with the wind on the side of the ped/bike path. What a lot of water! This is the first time my feet got a little wet with my Keen shoes, I think there was so much water it was running down the leg of my rain pants into my shoe more than my shoe soaking through.

I am sure I must have been quite the sight riding along in the torrent. Most people were finding cover, hoping to wait out the worst of it. I was heading to meet up with Evan, so I did not have time to wait. Fortunately, it did lighten up a bit to light rain for the remainder of our ride home. What an adventure in being wet.

No comments: