Monday, May 9, 2011

Ramping Up for National Bike Month

Yep, May is the League of American Bicyclists National Bike Month. In Portland, the big focus is on Bike to Work Week (16-20) and Day (20). It's kinda fun helping at work to promote Bike to Work Day. We'll be having a waffle and fruit breakfast for riders. Sadly, I'll miss it because Friday is my late arrival day. I'll have to take advantage of the more public free eats offerings throughout the week, I guess.

Evan was looking forward to it, as well, until he found out the school is not recording miles. Sad, but he knows his totals and is pretty proud that he has been riding all year, rain or rain, hail, cold wind, we seen it all.

I thought this was an interesting ship name. Made me think, "Yeah, that would be nice, a full spring, hahaha." Well, I was dry today and tomorrow is suppose to be dry, too. After that, back to cool, rain; sigh.

I had a nice encounter on my ride in. Another rider complimented me on my bike, he said he use to have one (I was on the SUB - Bridgestone MB-5). Cool, someone that actually recognized and knew about Bridgestone bicycles.

With more pedestrians and cyclists out I am finding the esplanade more challenging than riding on the roads these days. I think the on and off weather has some effect as people are not getting enough exposure to lot's of different people out. Of course, there are those who would not care anyway. Sometimes, it is like they think everyone else should watch out for them, sound familiar, reminds me of driving - haha.

Lot's of clouds out this afternoon, but I stayed dry, so it is all good. I am liking the skinny tires (Continental SportContact, 26 x 1.3). I think it drops my gearing by maybe a half tooth, will have to ride a bit more to know for sure. Aesthetically the bike looks good with the smaller tires, even more balanced looking than the road bike. The road bike because is it a smallish frame, 51cm, sometimes looks like all tire and wheel.

Hope you all are able to enjoy some of National Bike Month, get some free food and enjoy some of the events happening all around. Now, if the ol' sun would come out for a bit, that would be just, plain, awesome.

No comments: