Monday, May 23, 2011

Bike Nerd Adds Analog Clock

Well, since today was basically grey and I did not have an inspirational moment to take much in the way of pictures, I went bike nerd today when I got home from work.

I  have thought about having some kind of clock on the bike, because it is too hard to be riding and pulling out my cell phone to see what the time is. I really did not want to just strap a wrist watch on and I know I do not want to buy a cycle computer for just the clock part.

What I was looking for was something readable, small but not too small, waterproof (hey, it's Oregon!), and would mount securely but simply.

I guess it was time to do some research, internet style, of course. Hmmm, bicycle clock, clock on a bike, clock mounting on bike. Okay, then, just a few million hits, let's check out the images results. Hmmm, some of these look promising, so let's click here.

The site was Cruiser Customizing, yep, that's right, uh huh, a motorcycle site. They had some interesting products, some adapters, and hey, check it out, a little, round analog clock. Well, what the hey, let's order it and give it a try. A week later, today, it arrives and I open up the packaging. Ooo, chrome, well, it's small enough it should not show too much.

Well, now where to mount it? I want to keep the bars as clean as possible, since they already have my shifter mounts. I want to be able to easily glance and see the time. After a few tests, I decide I can use my existing headlight mount. I do have to do a little grinding on the clock mounting housing so I can rotate it 90 degrees, not how it was designed, of course.

After I get the housing to rotate in its bracket, I mounted it to my headlight mount and with a little bending had the position quite usable. Haha, now I have my bike clock, old school analog and the numbers and hands glow in the dark!

Oh, yeah, that's right, I'm a bike nerd and proud of it.

No comments: