Saturday, May 21, 2011

Change My Attitude - Have a Zen Moment

Okay, following the last venting session it was time to re-focus, reset my attitude about being out there with everyone else trying to soak up as much of the nice weather as we can, because after all, it is Oregon and this year each of those nice days are so darned short-lived. We are all going to be out there and so, let's just focus on the good whys versus on the baddies.

While I enjoyed a nice spot along the Eastbank Esplanade, so did the SUB. Together we focused on the beautiful Spring day, the light breeze, the light and shadow and went to our happy places. Well, at least I like to think the SUB went to her happy place.

For me, I think I just had not adjusted to the shift in season and weather here in Portland. In my significant cycling past, I did more recreational riding, training rides in preparation for those 100-200 mile events, some with a few friends and some solo. Oh sure, you would see others but not in the numbers one sees in Portland today. Then when I started my utilitarian era (actually, don't really like that term, utilitarian) I started smack dab in the middle of winter. I think I done gots spoiled. Quiet roads,, solitary times, I could mostly just ride and focus on being out and not have to watch out so much around me.

As our weather has changed, so has the slow, quiet morning pace. So the season changed, my mind did not. And after I thought about this for a bit, all this change is really a good thing, I mean this truly shows there is life in the city, right?

So, I think my mentalness is catching up with my physicalness and we are adapting to the changes. We all are out there, moving about, doing our outdoor thing, wanting to get somewhere, accomplish something.

Speaking of accomplishing something, this year is the first year our work, which moved to downtown from the suburbs, had a more "official" Bike to Work Week/Day set of activities. We organized a waffle breakfast for bike to work day and held an informational brown bag a few days before. That was pretty cool and I totally loved doing something at work bike related.

We had 22 bike commuters on Friday. While that was about our previous max, we did have quite a few first time bike commuters (not all of our bike commuters are 100% bike commuters). We had the most bikes in our overflow space, 5, so we had quite a few firsts. I was so glad we did have the great weather to help motivate people to give bike commuting a try.

So, I'll drink in those moments of calm, enjoy the blend of city and nature and just have fun doing what I love - riding my bike.

No comments: