Friday, March 4, 2011

Just Rain, More Healing, Radac Rides Again

Sorry, pretty plain picture. This was the view yesterday morning just before Evan and I headed out on our morning commute. We have pretty much just had rain, with a few clearing moments.

Yesterday, Evan rode from school by himself since we mis-connected. He was planning to do some after school work at his friend's, but their plans changed. By the time I actually got his call (I apparently missed two on my ride from work toward home), I was already at the base of Mt. Tabor Park on the west side.

After giving him the choice of waiting until I got home and got the car and riding by himself, he chose to ride by himself and save waiting around. Fortunately for me, I got home before Thursday's big afternoon rain started. Unfortunately for Evan, he got to ride the last couple miles in it, but he was home faster than if he had waited for me with the car. Way to go, Evan!

We had a moist ride this morning, but not really any rain. The cool thing for me this morning was I was riding the road bike, first time in a while. Took a little re-adjustment to the handling and braking, but that did not take too long. Gee, I felt much faster and the Radac definitely seems to freewheel along much better. I think I do need to do some fit fine-tuning, not a lot, just a tiny bit.

Riding along was nice and I felt much stronger than the last time I rode the Radac. My climbing is getting better, I don't go into the "I can't breath anymore" state I used to and while I could certainly feel some of the burn in my legs I did not feel like I had no more to give. I think my improved riding is a result of 1) my hip and related nerves and muscles are healing very well; and 2) I am riding a home route that has me doing a tiny extra credit climb in part of Mt Tabor Park. It's all good.

Yep, that also means I am back using my backpack rather than panniers, which I have been using for about a week anyway. I just like the better responsiveness of the bike without additional weight. The Lowe Alpine is holding up and the "air zone" seems to be helping keep my back sweat free. The only area that really gets wet is the low back where the backpack pads rest.

I've also been using my standard rain pants and my knees are actually staying dry to mostly dry. Definitely better than my Showers Pass ones, which are suppose to be designed for cycling. Kinda disappointed in them. I may go ahead and put them up for sale. Just not happy with the wet knee syndrome. Guess I need to put some gear review articles together...

No comments: