Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Rythm of Riding

Wednesday's ride started in darkness, threats of rain, drizzle mostly, enough to stay wet, anyway. Each ride feels better, or at least, I feel faster. Pedaling effort is smoother, more efficient, more easily moving the bike and me along the road.

Even with clouds, I love the darker morning city line. I think it is the lights that add a ... romantic glow to the darkness, set off and highlight the buildings and the warm reflection off the water. I feel fortunate to get to enjoy this wonderful scenery each day.

Wednesday was also a short workday, leaving early to then drive to pickup Evan. He was running a fever, so I brought him home and then worked remotely from the lunch hour on.

Thursday, Evan was feeling better, but not so much as to feeling up to biking to school. So, I drove him in, then drove back home. I would pick him up at home 2 after school in the car. From home, I biked east to my doctor appointment, a few more adjustments, but we are really way on top of the whole hip and pelvis issue -- yipppee. From there, I biked on into work. Somewhere around my doctor's I lost my fleece liner glove. Good thing I carry my extra goretex gloves. It was raining, so I used them.

Temp-wise, it felt kinda cold, but I had enough layers that I stayed warm on my ride. Even with the rain and coolness, I love being on the bike, the fresh air, the freedom, the movement. Just a joy! There is also that rhythm of riding, feeling connected with the bike, the fluidity of motion, flowing around the road debris and obstacles strewn about. When no one else is around, I slalom around the various objects, left, right, left, right, like a musical beat, the tune in my head matching.

The ride between home and work, work and home feels like it is getting shorter, so I guess it feels like I am getting faster, getting to know the route and what is coming up after each of checkpoints I mentally have marked out along my course. I know when I am "nearly" there, just one more small climb and it's coast on down to home. Once home, I replay the workout, I savor the success, and lately, shake off all the water.

It is about the journey.

No comments: