Tuesday, March 15, 2011

No Rain Going, Rain Homeward - Gear in Review Keen Presidio Pedal

Everything was wet, but at least no rain on my ride in to work. Been feeling so good, I think I am actually pushing myself a bit harder even on my ride in. This morning I had to tell myself to ride in cool-down mode along the esplanade. Still instantly went into sweat mode as soon as I went from cool outside in to the warm inside of my work building. Wow. I even stopped to take the picture over there.

Part of my ride purpose was getting a readjustment ride to my re-installed longer stem (maybe 10mm). This particular stem was what I had run with waaaay back when I was riding a whole lot. It does not seem like much, but it gives me just a bit more room across the top of the bars and I just feel less scrunched up.

Thanks to the changing to daylight savings, I'm back to riding in dark - thanks, Ben! You know who I'm talking to. I guess I need to keep using the mongo headlight for a bit longer.

Well, my dry good fortune of the morning was gone this afternoon. Plain and simple rain, with a bit of south, southwest wind thrown in for luck. Still had a good ride, the Harrison/Lincoln hill continues to get flatter, climbing the bump on Mt. Tabor can be done much more easily.

Here's my view looking back up the road where I came from, standing in the dry cover comfort of my garage.

Gear in Review - Keen Presidio Pedal
As long as we are talking, and riding in, rain, now would be a good time to chat about my commuter shoes, Keen Presidio Pedal. Not only are they my biking shoes, but I wear these all day, so I do not have tote around an extra pair of shoes.

I do use Shimano clips on 'em, so even with the recessed mounting, they will clickety clack occasionally, especially walking outside, but it is not bad.

Comfort -- These shoes are actually quite comfy, lot's of toe room and do not have any pressure points even when wearing wool, ski socks. Design -- The soles are not overly stiff so walking is comfortable, but stiff enough to work well with the clipless side of my pedals. They also have a lace holder to keep those laces out of spinning things. Bonus -- The leather uppers look nice and, by the way, keep the rain out! Saves the wear and tear on my neoprene booties.

I do recommend these shoes. Yes, they are not as stiff as my carbon soled Specialized MTB or Sidi road bike shoes, but they do much better than wearing non-cycling shoes. I can wear 'em all day, they keep the feet dry, what more could you ask for, heh?

No comments: