Friday, March 18, 2011

Rush Hour --- Kinda

Dark, in-between rain greeted me as I started my commute in this morning. Had a hard time deciding what to wear - will it rain, be dry, showers, drizzle? Danged weather that cannot make up its mind. I take a chance and wear my rain pants, but just wear my fleece jacket. I did pack my rain jacket, just in case. The ride started fine and I felt comfortable, though yesterday's work stress and frustrations were still brewing. To clear my racing mind, I slowed up the pace and focused on my surroundings, the weather, the air, who was also out already, just pedal along, even pace.

Each hill or climb I check my breathing, see how the legs are feeling an mentally record what gear I am in. This week has been positive on each of my measures, that is a nice feeling in itself. Having my hip back has been super, now all the muscles are working together, getting stronger.

As I rode down SE Clay toward the Eastbank Esplanade, I saw the flashing lights of the railroad crossing. Really? So, I basically coasted down and stopped. Hmmm, the train is not moving either. Well, I took out the camera and snapped a couple of experimental shots. The one up there was the best of the two. Then I waited.

Shortly during my wait, I noticed traffic crossing a couple of streets down, then actually noticed the engine was just off on my right. Well, I thought, "Will the train be sitting here, or will it start off?" I took the gamble and turned around, road back up the road to the cross street, then down 2 blocks and eureka, crossed the tracks and made it to the esplanade. Pretty straightforward the rest of the way to work. I was glad I did not sit and wait as it actually started raining as I started on the esplanade.

Homeward, was more dry than the morning. I like my routes, I like the distance, seems just about right for a bike commute. Long enough that I feel I have ridden and the effort of uphill is on the homeward bound.

Now, I get to enjoy a week off, time with Evan and a break from the frustrations of work. I think the only thing I will miss is the daily bike ride.

No comments: