Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rollin' Along the River

Do you hear it? {Creedence Clearwater Revival, Tina Turner} Rollin' on the river ... Well, it was the song in my head as I rode along the Eastbank Esplanade and decided to stop and watch the tug pushing the barge up the Willamette River. I actually had to snap fairly quickly as the tug was impressively moving right along.

As you can also see, the morning commute was grey, though the rain held off. I am definitely beginning to see more bike commuters out, what with the longer daylight and a bit warmer temps. Hey, apparently we are below normal though, no days at 60 or above since the first, and we are like a couple hundred percent above average rain - surprise, surprise. I really enjoyed not wearing the rain gear, just feels more comfortable. I did have some wardrobe issues, though.

I had to free-roll the pant legs up because I just could not find my leg straps this morning. I was constantly re-rolling them up but I made it to work and no chainring stains or tears in my pant legs so I was good to go.

The ride home was wet. Good thing I had my rain gear. Every now and then I thought how being a little further out from work would be nice, being able to ride everyday is such a treat. I only wish I wasn't carrying so much stuff!

Tomorrow, I am going to do some more messenger bag testing. The backpack is really nice, but I am noticing an uncomfortable pinching around my collar bone and, even with the air space, I am getting sweatier than I like. I love it's storage capability and there is a nook and cranny for everything. Plus the mesh side pockets are great for keeping essentials handy and accessible without having to remove the pack or overly fidget. Will roll with the messenger bag for a bit and see how it carries.

Statistics for 2011:
  • 734 Miles Total
    • January : 278.94
    • February : 244.49
    • March : 211.12
  • 14.98" of rain since January 1 (normal is 12.55")
  • 1 pr of tires for SUB
  • 1 set brakes for road bike

No comments: