Friday, April 1, 2011

2 Great Spring Days to Finish the Week

Thursday's ride in was so different, the temperature was pleasant and the clouds weren't too bad. The morning ride would be much longer as I was heading to my eye doctor down near the Burlingame Fred Meyer. After leaving Evan at school, I headed on my normal route to work. Instead of crossing the Steel Bridge, I headed south down the Eastbank Esplanade. Along the way, I stopped to take some pictures. I loved watching the birds sitting on the log in the river.

After a bit of that, I continued on my way. I rode down to the Hawthorne Bridge and crossed the Willamette River there. From there, I rode down to Waterfront Park and headed up to 1st Ave. I took 1st. Ave to catch Barbur Blvd. Climbing Barbur was so different this time compared to back in November 2010 when I rode there to get to work in Lake Oswego. Much, much easier going even for the road bike. Loved the downhill coming back from the eye doctor's, I was down to work in no time it seemed.

Evan and my ride in the afternoon was nice as it was warm, though the southerly wind was blowing pretty good. Riding in this weather is such a treat given all the wet and cooler rides we have done this year, I thoroughly enjoyed my 25 mile day.

Friday, 01 Apr 2011
Today's ride in was so, so nice. Comfortably warm, no wind to speak of, and bits of sun! Check out how much blue sky there was this morning in the picture above! What more could one ask for? There were whole loads of people out this morning, way, way tons of bicyclists. I could have just rode around, but there is that work thing I am obligated to. My base miles now have me riding very comfortably on my routes. Today after work I actually did my old practice of picking a gear combination and doing all the riding in it. With my current set up, my mid-gear of 38 x 17 seems to be a great all purpose, around town combination, so that is what I used. That was fun and brought back some great memories of riding past.

The nice weather brought many more commuters at work, too. Today was the most bikes I have seen so far, 12. Three more and we would have had some storage issues, in terms of no more rack space. Will see how things go when we get some even nicer weather on a more regular basis.

No comments: