Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A cool, foggy morning greeted me on my ride in. What I love about a morning like this is the quiet, the calmness. You cannot help but slow down, look around, take in the moments along the way.

Yesterday's SUB ride showed I needed a few adjustments. Cleat alignment tweaks for my shoes and, since my strength is up, a modification to my rear cogs to fit my current level. Today another test of the adjustments.

Foot position and pedal motion much, much better. I did not have any knee issues at all, whether seated or doing some standing pedalling. The utilitarian SUB sure seemed to roll slow, though, compared to the road bike. Are these tires rolling with that much resistance? Is the SUB really that much harder to roll along? Have to think about it.

Seems so light out these days, having been trained to commuting through the darker winter days. I stopped a few times to take some pictures and to just look. There were two close calls today. The first, along SE Lincoln, a bus turned from 52nd onto Lincoln cutting off a cyclist riding in the opposite direction of me. He yelled, but that's about all he could do, the even already happened. Then not two blocks later, a car cut across Lincoln cutting me off. All I could do was yell, "Hey!" and I moved left to pass behind the car. Is it the fog?

The SUB did great, again, today and the new shifter location is working out great. The one bad thing about bike commuting is it ends - lol.

Well, decided to go ahead and test a different set of tires. So, I replaced my Serfas Drifters with a pair of Continental Sport Contacts. I've always had great experiences with Continentals on my road bike so let's see how they do in SUB mode and size. That's the other great thing about bike commuting is that changes can be more easily evaluated because I'm riding the same route and have experienced many different weather conditions. So it seems easier to determine if an issue is me, the bike, the weather; or if something I changed is an improvement or just a change.

Over the almost 900 miles that I have ridden now, I have been doing my own human behavior test. I either wave or if they are close I say, "hi." I am finding that the cyclist today seems to have not learned how to respond as most do no absolutely nothing. I probably still have fingers I can use to count the number of people who have reciprocated. Sad, really, just sad.

The other phenomenom I have noticed is that there are cyclists who have adopted an almost driver like approach to their commute. They are head-down, hammering along, zipping around everyone else, not slowing down much around pedestrians, short-cutting, red light running. Maybe they have commuted so long that they figure they have seen it all, maybe they are late, would be an interesting study. I know some use the commute as a heavy work out. I work harder going home, because it is uphill. I don't like being overly sweating going, so I am glad I have a mostly downhill ride to work.

Anyway, I am enjoying the journey of each day, seeing the changes across winter to spring - from nature to people, there are definite seasonal changes going on.

No comments: