Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring? More Like Sprinter -- Pausing to Be Where I Am

I guess the commuting was mostly pleasant, at least I stayed dry and the heavier rain fell in between me being on the bike. The weather is certainly having its own with everyone - snow in the mid-west and east, warm temps south. Here it is really more like Sprinter - wanna be Spring with some bits of lingering Winter. The morning was cooler, but at least it was dry. The scullers are now out in the early mornings getting their training in. These folks were just getting off the water as I was riding past along the esplanade. Just like the waking grasses and the trees trying to re-awake after a long winter, even the people life is blooming, venturing out after a long winter of more hibernatory existence.

Through all the grey concrete, the grey clouds, the cold, dark of the Willamettte, in contrast to the mostly black lycra runners, the cherry blossoms pop out across the way along the Waterfront Park adding life to the otherwise monochromatic scene. Lately, I think on wishing the commute was just a little bit longer, to have more riding time to endlessly wander and enjoy.

This afternoon I could not really figure out what the weather was going to do, bright and dry, dark and rainy. I decided on taking a half chance and wore just the rain pants and my fleece jacket. Of course as I left I heard the alarm of the Steel Bridge and rode up in time to wait as the center section was being raised. I looked around but did not immediately see what was coming, in either direction. The light was a bit interesting, especially as it varied the reflectiveness of downtown buildings.

Shortly, I saw what was moving along the river, a classic looking fire boat. That was pretty cool and, again, really stood out against the otherwise grey landscape. While not a super tall boat, it gives you the idea of how much water there is on the Willamette. Only by moving more slowly than a car, by being a part of the scene have I noticed the "little" details happening, the details that have probably been happening all along. Gosh, how much have I missed all these years?

I guess it is much like when Evan was born. I made a conscious decision to make our time the priority, to put the adult world second when it was our time. He taught me well to see what we as adults see as ho hum as special, as worth pausing just to watch, to really watch and be amazed. I wonder if the cyclists riding past, as they appear to be mono-focused on getting to their destination are in their own way like the drivers who become blindered to the little things going on around them. I wonder if they think I am some kind of tourist or strange newbie, stopping to take all these pictures. Will I become one of the members of the zombie commuting world, regardless of transportation mode, shutting out or becoming apathetic to whatever is around and near to me?

Since I cannot see the future, I might as well embrace the moments, the pauses that always show me something new, something unique to that moment and time.

No comments: