Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bits of Rain, but Mostly Dry and the Sun Came Back

Definitely must be living in the Pacific NW. After yesterday's rain, today's morning ride was dry, peaceful, pretty and bright. I left home just as the need for seeing lights was fading. I have come to look forward to my morning ride, it gives me that solitude with fresh air to gather my thoughts, to slow the mind from thinking about all the things that need to get done. Instead of work, work, work, home projects and obligations, the thoughts slow to focusing on the light, shadows, reflections, clouds.
The Eastbank Esplanade is such a great place to ride, there are views in all directions that, depending on the time of day, can present some wonderful light. Of course, a little photo manipulation does not hurt, but it is only to present the emotion of what I felt and experienced.

The lighter mornings certainly have more people out earlier - walking their dogs, getting their morning jogs in, and, yes, a few more bike commuters. Even for this introvert, it is nice to see people out during my ride, helps that feeling of the world around me being alive, not just filled to structures, metal and pavement.

Apparently, someone thought I was too enthused about the idea of riding home in partly sunny skies. Just as I was about to head out the door the rain came. Argh! I swap out my fleece jacket for my rain jacket and put on the rain pants. The afternoon image above is a bit different than this morning's, heh? Fortunately, the rain was light and did not last very long, maybe 5 or so minutes. Then the clouds started clearing a bit.

I  had only a slight encounter with some early rush hour traffic as I turned off the esplanade toward Water Ave. at Clay St. Waiting to cross Water Ave. the traffic was backed up from MLK Jr. Blvd to Water Ave. Cars were overflowing in to the intersection. When my light turned green, a car that had been waiting to turn left lunged in to the intersection to join the long line of waiting cars. Fortunately, I saw them and just nodded. The cool thing is I then proceeded up Clay St. past the car that kind of cut me off and all the way up to the MLK Jr. Blvd intersection, where the light was red.

At the green, I crossed and was on my way. Given the line, that car would be about 3 more lights before making it through the intersection. Who has the last laugh now?
The further along, the clearer the skies got, to where it was a very nice ride home, even warm, the rain jacket a bit much. This is shot along SE Harrison St. as I rode along. These nice days are such a treat, especially as I remember all the less than nice days since the first of the year that I have ridden. It is a nice change from  rather monochromatic scenery to one of color, greenery.

No comments: