Friday, April 29, 2011

Breakfast on the Bridges

Riding in this morning with Evan I was not real sure about what weather we would have for our afternoon ride. Definitely cloudy and whether it was my anticipation or what, but I thought I felt rain drops a few times.

You know how I have often written about how when I wave or nod there is no response from the other person? Well, I found myself nearly falling guilty to being one of those non-responsives. After parting from Evan, I was on my way to work. I stopped at a red light and was just sitting there. I heard a voice, then again. I awoke from my red light stuper in time to realize there was another cyclist behind and she was saying good morning. I turned and apologized and returned the greeting. Ya know, that really lifted my spirits, especially because I was not even the one that initiated the contact. Nice.

I had heard about the Breakfast on the Bridges, but it had sort of gotten pushed to the way back of my mind. As I neared the down ramps to the Steel Bridge I stopped to take a downtown picture (yep, that is it at the top of this page). From the upper part of the ramps I also noticed a lot of people just before the bridge way. I wonder what is going on? A class? A group of friends? As I rode down and near I saw the sign, oh sweet, Breakfast on the Bridges - free coffee and pastries!

I don't do coffee, but I do do pastries. So, I stopped and greeted my hosts and enjoyed a doughnut while listening to the conversations going on. It was really nice to slow down and to visit with people. I will definitely remember this treat on the last Friday of each month. And the really cool thing is I don't have to alter my commute route at all!

The return trip home was warmer and sunnier than the morning ride. I am so glad I have the bike ride to look forward to. I really needed it this afternoon as I am having some personnel struggles at work with a new team member. I guess it is more like frustrations, so the pleasantness of riding was a therapeutic treat. Joining up with Evan we cruised on our way. We did stop at Bike Gallery to get new brake pads and a new helmet for Evan. The salesperson helping us commented on our bikes - he liked the old steel. I told him mine was a new purchase from Bike Gallery in 1993. He actually remembered when they did carry Bridgestones. I am not so sure that he noticed that the drop bars were not original on a MB-5, but that's okay, he was pretty young.

Okay, something I have not done is to take a picture of how I use to get between home and work and school. Here is I-84 at NE 74th at 3:50pm. I just missed a slow down moment where the cars were not really moving much. Still, I am much happier riding the bike on our commutes.

Well today was the last commute of April and, it turns out, is the highest mileage month with 290 miles.

No comments: