Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cloudy, Drizzly, but Still Photogenic

Drizzly, but pretty warm today. Nice, uneventful ride and as we passed the place I flatted yesterday I let out a, "Woo Hoo! I survived the flat zone!!"

One thing I've noticed about biking versus driving is the nuances of light even on days that look totally non-photogenic. This picture was taken from my usual area on the Steel Bridge. In the car I would see it as just another Portland grey day. On bike, I was drawn to the subtle light.

The only nuisance today was my rear Reelight started rubbing against the inductive magnets. I've had so much trouble with the rear one. Took it off when I got home, since most of the time it is quite obscured by my pannier. I put the inductive magnets on Evan's bike so his Reelights blink a bit faster. Kinda miss them, maybe I'll do some more research on improving the mounting some time.

I feel okay about that as I have my regular lights which I use even when it is daylight but cloudy, foggy or rainy. Plus my panniers have huge reflective patches on them.

Here is a picture without flash of my SUB. This was taken just a bit before 5:00pm, drizzly out, so light was flat and it was evening.





This next picture was taken at the same time, but with the flash. You can see where I have put on the Lightweights for Wheels and the patches on my panniers.

The Lightweights are barely noticeable during the daylight or if you are looking at the bike. This gives me improved visibility from the sides.

I have been tracking my commuting, since my biking goal is about commuting. I've commuted everyday since the week after xmas, giving me 12 consecutive work days. I am lovin' it, since this is the first time I've worked close enough to make daily commuting and being a parent reasonable. Plus, I filled the car up on 12/24 and am still going on the tank of gas (about 180 miles, 100 of those being 2 50 milers for airsofting in Boring). My joy of driving is back since I am not "having" to drive just to go to work.

I've also noticed that I am less aware of time. I mean it must have been a total commute to work of around an hour plus yesterday with my flat. I really did not feel that hour, where if I was driving I would be totally, annoyingly aware of that hour. Nice.

1 comment:

Milesa said...

Yes, I agree about the subtle nature of our surroundings, like light, smells and time. While most of my 'cycling' has been on a motorcycle, I do agree that when I do bicycle here in Michigan, I love the time to think, reflect, and enjoy that I am exercising and 'getting there' too!