Monday, January 31, 2011

Morning Lights, New Mini-purse, Another Great Day to Ride

Pleasant ride in to work this morning, left early enough to still catch the city lights before they faded out with sunrise.

This picture was taken at the east end of the Hawthorne Bridge, looking west to downtown Portland. The challenge was finding a steady rest for the camera. First few shots I used a sign pole, but soon found the wind was making it sway causing blurry pictures. This was actually hand held.

Only a few other cyclists out at this early of time, around 7:15am. This morning I thought I would take a risk and go with lighter clothing. I wore ankle SmartWool socks and my summer biking capris. I did use my light fleece knee warmers, though. I might be risky, but I ain't stupid. Top wise, I wore a Cami, medium weight Lycra sweatshirt and my fleece jacket. I was actually quite comfortable.

In my backpack (day 2 of commute test for it) I did carry my rain pants, a lightweight summer rain jacket, my extra rain gloves and SmartWool arm warmers. I am liking the Lowe Alpine ND 25 pack. Feels comfortable, carrys the load well, and is quite stable while riding. I am thinking this may be my primary commuter pack and I'll save the messenger bag for when I am doing biking errands, as the messenger bag is easier to get into. I've also started using a small, REI Tara City Bag to hold wallet and stuff. I put this into the front section of my backpack.

What is really nice is I have a bag for my personal stuff if I run out at lunch. Plus, it is the perfect size so I can put my Kryptonite Evolution Mini in the back section. Before the bag, carrying the lock was rather awkward, at best. The cable I just loop across one shoulder so that has never been an issue. I was trying to do the one bag for everything, which is why I started with a messenger bag - just don't like having to transfer stuff all the time, and knowing me, I would likely forget something important. The city bag is small enough so I don't carry too much, but easily fits into whatever primary carry system I am using, and it is always ready with my non-biking essentials.

The ride home was a bit cooler, and the wind from the east had definitely picked up. I was not sure I had enough warm layers, but I did okay. I added 2.5 miles to my solo commute as I made a swing by the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. I was kind of glad, because that was the same route I take when I go to meet Evan at his school, then ride home. It's climb from downtown to home is much more gradual, so I only had to really deal with the wind, rather than both wind and a steeper climb on SE Harrison St.

No comments: