Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gear, Gear Everywhere - Organizing My Tools and Extras

We all know about things like messenger bags, backpacks, panniers, saddle bags and frame bags. These are all great at carrying the things we need for recreational riding, touring and commuting. The challenge I have is how to carry the things that go inside so that they are easily accessed and at the ready? My recent adventure in flat repair in the rain on my commute to work showed I need help.

The gear I needed was spread in different sections between both of my panniers, plus inside my daily messenger bag (aka purse). A lot of things got wet!
  • Spare tube
  • Patch Kit
  • Tire levers
  • Multi-tool
  • CO2 / Mini-pump w/2 CO2 cartridges
  • Some wipes and rubber gloves
I've tried putting everything into different types and sizes of travel bags, stuff sacks and what have you, I just never really liked them. I guess cuz everything was, basically, still just thrown in. I know, I know, who cares as long as you can get to them, right?

A while back at the Handmade Bicycle Show, I bought a cute organizer because it was cute and purple, how could I refuse? Anyway, that was definitely form way over function as I really could not use it with the stuff I had (sniffles and frown).

Well, the other day, I got it back out and laid out my stuff and thought, "how can I use this?" Well, the only way was to actually remove all the nice pouches, elastic and internal velcro and "rebuild it, we have the technology, it will be better" (in my best million dollar man voice - haha).

After a lot of seam ripping, stitch tearing, measuring, cutting, new stitching and re-stitching the inside and outside layers I can roll up all my stuff, except for the spare tube and patch kit.

See, I told you it was cute, just love the color! The nice thing is that I can easily transfer this to whatever main carry system I am using and should I have to use anything and it is a bit grungy, whatever is around it should still stay fairly clean.
Here is what the inside looks like. The CO2 filler/mini-pump is held in place with an elastic band at the bottom and a velcro strap near the top. This makes access easy. The two CO2 cartridges are held by elastic. In the middle, obscured by elastic are the two halves of my multi-tool and then, last by not least, are the tire levers. Just above the pouch you can see the baggie that has my wipes and 1 pair of rubber gloves.

I guess I should also note that I have ordered a Soma Stash Bottle (7.5" tall), which I think my pouch will fit into. Not sure about the tube and patch, though, will have to wait and see when I pick it up on Wed (1/19).

I know, a bit vain, but, hey, I am the one carrying it all after all. Anyway, I must like it since I am writing about it and feeling inclined to "show it off" to everyone. LOL I guess the other thing that comes to me is that I am really picky and often have to create, build, sew up what I need, because I cannot seem to just buy something generic off the shelf and have it fit my needs and aesthetics.

No comments: