Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sunny Blue Skies - A Windery Bike Riding Day

Weather was windy and cool and dark as I prepped to head to work this morning. Living on the edge, here I am with a very light, summer tank top and light cotton sweater and a jersey skirt. I am wearing my knee warmers which go up to my upper thighs and my wool ski socks. The Showers Pass jacket is laying across my bike.

As it turned out, the wind was cool but not too bad as I was heading in the same direction. I do pack a few extra clothes, so I felt I would be okay for the ride home directly into the wind - brrrrrrr.

Another pleasant ride, the night is definitely getting shorter, as it seems to be getting lighter earlier each day. This works out great as the heavy congested area near MLK can be pretty intense moving about with the 4 wheeled traffic, so being easier to see brings a bit of peace of mind.

I stopped just past the Hawthorne Bridge along the Eastbank Esplanade and took this picture of the city across the Willamette River. Very peaceful, could just sit and enjoy buuuuuut, yep, gotta get in to work.

Winter light is sure picturesque. I think the blue sky is richer than during the warmer months of Spring and Summer.


River traffic was quiet this morning, too. Just a few Canada geese cruising along up river. I'll have to say, being on the bike allows me to notice so much more, to be able to stop and enjoy those distractions on my ride.

I know it's really only been a bit over a month of bike commuting, but, I really see something different each day, even though I am basically riding the same route. Will see after a few more months if the feeling changes any. Buuuuut, until then, we'll enjoy and take advantage of each day's newness and surprises.

The backpack was great, again. Very comfortable and with the "air zone" my back does not get overheated and sweaty, okay, at least not anymore than if I was not using a pack.

Well the end of my work day came and it was still nice and clear, but woah Betty! was it ever still blowin' out there. Of course, nice and steady coming down the Columbia River Gorge.

I bundled up a bit more - putting on my neck buff - and headed out. Yep, nice east wind coming right at me. Well, I just set my gearing to near low and spun along, focused on enjoying the ride. I did hope that as I got to the start of the Harrison St climb I would have some shelter - one can hope anyway.

Well turns out, the hill just made the wind confused, not any weaker. Sometimes it felt like it was coming from the left, then the right, then straight ahead. All the while, I trying to go uphill. Even with all that 24mph wind, I think I did pretty good, made it up the hill okay and was not totally spent out. Well, the weather is for much less wind tomorrow, but looks to be pretty cold, especially in the morning. Will probably dress a bit more for warmth tomorrow. The nice thing is I meet up with Evan in the afternoon, so we can keep each company on the way to home.

No comments: