Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Normal Sort of Bike Commute Day

A bit chilly this morning, but otherwise, comfortable ride in with Evan. We calculated it takes us about 20-25 minutes from home to his school, and that's without really trying.

I've noticed that we actually chat a bit more on the bike than when we make the trip by car. And it's not like we never talk when in the car. I guess we are both just a bit more awake.

Altered the route slightly between Evan's school and work. I tested getting to the Steel Bridge through the Rose Quarter transit center. Not too bad a route, a bit more confusing because one section has both bike traffic directions on the same side of the street, a cycle track of sorts. The confusing part was whether I could make my left turn by using the crosswalk or waiting for the light, cross the street, then wait for that light so I could cross again onto the cycle track.

Back still giving me fits when I am sitting at the desk, so I had to get up and try and stretch a bit. Will have to see how fast and well it heals through this. Might be time for a visit to my chiropractor/acupuncturist. The messenger bag is working okay, not any worse than the backpack, maybe a little better right now cuz I do carry the weight a bit lower.

One nice thing is I made a stop at the store between work and Evan in the afternoon. Putting the few things in the messenger bag, getting to my purse/wallet is easier with the messenger bag than with a backpack.

Oh, the picture above was taken in the afternoon just after leaving work. The bridge lift was up and a tug just went under. Fortunately, I arrived just before the bridge section was lowered. While waiting I snapped a few pictures. With all the clouds, the light is a bit flat, The up side, temps were mild, 45 degrees and there was not much wind.

Still loving this bike commuting thing, learning some things, especially about what to wear that works for me to be not too cold, but also not too hot. Plus figured out how to carry all my bikey tools so they are all in one, easy to get to place and learning what to carry for just in case (rain gear, spare gloves, stuff like that). I do keep a sweater at work just in case, also.

At times I feel like I could just keep riding around, forget that whole work thing, because I'm on the bike, enjoying the sights and sounds that are the different parts of Portland.

No comments: