Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lighter Earlier, Clear and Cold - Ouch Having Some Back Pain

Another gorgeous morning ride into work. Still some wind, but a whole lot less than yesterday. Temps will be cool, it's low 30's this morning.

With the lighter mornings, seem to be seeing a few more cyclists out, either that I must be leaving a bit later or something. Came upon on cyclist, she seemed to be fiddling with her panniers. I asked if everything was okay. She asked if I had a zip tie - nope, maybe I should? She said thanks anyway and I continued on when the light turned green.

I still say there is just something about morning light. Maybe it is because there are fewer people hustling and bustling about, the river is calm, just peaceful. I made several stops to take some morning pictures. I think some of the regulars thought I must have been a crazy tourist.

The ride home was still cold, and there was still some east wind, maybe 9-10 mph, enough to know it was there. Headed up to meet Evan and then on to our ride home. Low gears and spinning the pedals, to conserve energy. I'm likin this riding with him. Having someone to talk with totally overrides the extra time because of wind. Basically, don't even think about the time. Of course, I find I don't really think about the time at all when I am on the bike.

Yesterday and today I've had some back pain issues, especially worse when sitting. I have had to get up and stand and walk to relieve pressure. Bummer. I think I'm going to go back to riding with the messenger bag to see if my lower, left back pain subsides. If it does, then I think I have to rule out the comfy backpack. I suspect, if it is the backpack, the reason is that I am carrying everything above my waist which is likely compressing the spine a bit too much, especially as I am leaning forward. With the messenger bag, I carry it fairly low so a lot of weight is below my waist and below the problem vertebrae. Again, all theory at the moment.

No comments: