Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Be Predictable, Fellow Riders

Okay, not a picture of today's ride (this was the view back on the 8th). The ride was too rainy for me to want to stop and take any pictures in either direction, so I'm using one that makes me long for a few clear days.

Weather folks are saying more rain the rest of the week with a slight chance we could actually see some snow in the mornings, especially in the slighty higher elevations. I imagine Evan is strongly wishing for snow in the Portland area.

The ride in this morning went along pretty well, fairly normal and uneventful. But, I suppose it was bound to happen, especially since I left 1/2 hour later than normal. I had just crossed over the Steel Bridge and was about to make my normal right hand turn to go under the bridge to cross Naito. The path also went straight to follow the wall along Waterfront Park. Just as I started toward the right all of a sudden I heard a desparate, "On your right!" All I could say was, "Whoa!" and make a sudden correction to the left. The rider was not even turning right, he continued on straight!

Hey, like be predictable and pass on the left like everyone else!

He's lucky I have fairly quick responses and have a few years of road riding experience. Otherwise, he would have been the one going down, because his front wheel would  have hit my rear. I guess rush hour can be crazy even when you are not on the roads.

The hip be getting better, I could actually sit more today. Still cannot stand on that left heel. The discomfort is definitely a lower grade pain, but when I feel it, it takes a bit to move around and get it to subside. I could sit in the car this evening to and back from the grocery store. That is pretty significant, since over the weekend I could not really do that at all.

Good ride home, felt like I had a bit more power than recently, hills weren't too bad. The updated shifters position is working out and am loving having the drop bars back for the variety of hand positions and just the improved hand/wrist comfort. Go SUB!

No comments: