Friday, February 18, 2011

Buses and School Zones

Just a few minutes before I snapped this picture (so about 2:50pm, 2/18/2011) I had quite a fun time with bus 2138, rolling along Route 73.

I had left work, crossed the Steel Bridge, ridden through the Rose Quarter area and was heading east along Multnomah St, in the bike lane I might add.

I heard the bus behind me and rather than slowing and waiting a few seconds, the driver rushed ahead and then crossed into the bike lane and abruptly stopped to pick up a passenger. I hit my brakes and moved to the left, and into the left lane to go around the bus. Fortunately, no car was in that lane, otherwise I would have been one of those statistics and the talk of local forums on the merits and evils between motorized vehicles and the human powered two wheel vehicles.

I snapped this about 2 stops after the "event" stop. At a previous light, the bus was maybe 2 cars back and I turned and just looked. I may send the same pic in to TriMet with a letter expressing my disappointment in this particular driver and not willing to give me, the bicyclist, the right of way in "my" space. Schedule or no schedule, that dang bus is way bigger than little ol' me. I understand the bus' need to pull to the curb for passengers, I wish more understood they are crossing into a non-vehicle space to do so and to give the proper occupants of that space right of way.

I suppose I am seeing more and more of the things I use to read about because I am, after all, on the road everyday now and having to navigate the trials and tribulations of competing for space.

Well as long as I am soap-boxing today, I've decided that my least favorite time and place to try and ride is around schools when they are about to let out in the afternoon. OMG! OMG! All those parents trying to compete for those few available spaces or getting to and into the parking lot to pick up their kids. They are not watching around them so much and the streets go from quite spacious to narrow gauntlets of cars pulling in and out, stopping in the road, doors flying open, blindered kids and parents crossing the streets barely even looking for cross traffic.

Well, thank you very much, I would rather be riding on the expressway, okay, maybe not, but afternoons around schools are sure intense.

Other than that, a good ride today, dry and cool in the morning and quite pleasant to be riding. Some drizzle/sprinkles this afternoon. Yay for the weekend, and some rest for my hip, which is totally getting better and better.

No comments: