Monday, February 21, 2011

Dry and Blue Skies - Ow, Some Hip Relapse

No school for Evan, but we still rode together as he needed to go to home number 2 today. He led the whole way, so I guess he's got to route down pretty well now. His pedalling style is pretty smooth, I would ride with him anytime. Do you suppose I am a little biased, though? haha.

Comfortable ride in, bikes worked flawlessly. I did do a good clean up on them this past weekend. The previous mega rains and hail definitely took their toll. For Evan's, it was clean the dirt off, wash down the rims and brake pads, then I also readjusted his rear hub bearings, adding a bit more grease while we were there. One of the bearing lock nuts had loosened, so we fixed that. Then clean and lube the chain, pretty grimy.

About the same for my SUB, though no bearing tear down. Chain was pretty washed out and some very, tiny surface rust. Lubing took care of that. I also did a little re-wrap on the handlebars, to clean up the wrapping around the shift levers.

The intro picture above was taken a bit after 4:00pm from Waterfront Park looking east. Nice clouds, heh? Temp-wise, I think was in the mid-40's.

This image was taken along the floating Eastbank Esplanade back toward the Steel Bridge. The light was very nice and made for an enjoyable ride home.

Hip-wise, I think I had a bit of a relapse over the weekend, maybe from over use from our SOLV tree planting on Saturday. Seem to have picked up a bit of a dull, constant discomfort and I have lost some sitting duration time. In general, though, I  think it is still on the positive side of healing and getting better.

Riding strength seems good, as a fun test, I used just the 36 x 17 gearing combo from Evan's to work and then from work to SE 21st and Harrison, which was the start of the climb toward home. Even climbing Harrison I was able to spin up without dropping to my lowest gearing so that is a good sign.

Kind of disappointed, have not heard anything back from TriMet from my note to them about my close call with the bus the other day. Will see if anything comes up this week.

Well thoroughly enjoyed the lovely weather riding today, will see what the rest of the week brings and the weather folks are saying rain starting tonight or tomorrow with possible snow Wednesday and/or Thursday. Evan is totally hoping for snow and no school - surprise, surprise.

No comments: